Thursday, February 19, 2015

Quiet New Year

This Chinese New Year has been rather quiet for our family.

With Yeye and Laoma in hospital, our lives have been revolving around swinging in and out of hospital to visit them and take care of them. Thank goodness both of the are staying in the same hospital.

Because  my sis will be hosting reunion dinner with her husband's family, we had a early celebration..


On New Years Eve, the doctors called us and told us that Yeye can be discharged and we were all really happy that he could be doing New Years Eve reunion dinner with us at home. However, as he hasnt been eating, he was really weak. Nevertheless it was just great that he is back home.

First day of CNY, Yeye could not go visiting and so we decided that Nainai will stay home to take care of him while we, the younger generation will do home visitation on his part.

Alas, I have been so busy that I havent been able to buy Ace any new year clothes except a jeans bermudas we bought way beyond anyone went into hospital. Thank goodness that our friend Jackie, bought Ace new clothes, new shoe, new hats and new pants!:) And so at least Ace was in new gear. As for me and Max... shhh.. I just took out my newest piece of clothing which I had worn once before (thank Karen Ganma for the thoughtful gift) and just wear lah.



The the time we are done visiting, lunch time.. went to my in laws place for a late lunch and when we went home, I decided to rest.. since I started sneezing a little and felt really tired.

Day two, me and Max were tasked with taking care of Yeye while Nainai and Shushu went home visiting. So we dropped Ace with my mum (there was a gathering at her place with my cousins) and went over to Nainai's house. Alas, my good husband came home dead drunk at 6am in the morning and so, all he could really do was SLEEP....  Not much help at all lor...

Yeye did not have many needs but i think he is shy to share his wants. So I think I was a little awkward and so was he... We had a short chat when he was up watching tv and he talked about how he grew up in the void deck of his rich relative's mansion cos his parents passed away when he was very young.. Really admire Yeye lor.. despite not really being treated right, he was never filled with hatred but instead is a very loving, generous person.

Then leh, I had to wake Max up cos it was time to do Grandma duty. Grandma has been in hospital for a long time and because it was tough on the maid to be beside her and working with her 24 hours, we broke the time up into slots and I was doing this slot cos no one else other than my uncle offered to do it and as grandma is not yet familiar with him, my aunty asked if I could also be there.

While I am sad that my grandma and FIL are both down and unwell, I am thankful that they are at least still alive... I am also very thankful that we are all back here in Singapore and can be near the to help take care of them. Another thing that I am really thankful for is that it was a great chance to get closer to my grandma and my FIL.

Dunno how long more I can hold her hand... Anyway, I think Laoma likes it when we hold her hand.

She looks so cute like that right?

Eating... a rare moment where she says she wants  to feed herself;)

Grandma after her hip operation.


While taking care of grandma or keeping her company... thought she has ALheizmer and cannot remember things, she will actually do and say alot of things that surprise me.. hahahaa

Once she started talking to me in cantonese out of nowhere... another time, she was sleeping and so I took out my phone to look at it... and when she woke and opened her eyes, she asked me if a smile, "Shall we throw this away?" Hahahaah..

And while we think she has not much memory, when asked about her children and whether she remembers so and so, she will reply.. "Aiyah, XX doesnt visit me one... XX only comes once in the blue moon.."

When we shifted her to the community hospital, when the nurse asked her if she knew her own name.. she said "I don't remember..." But when the nurse called out her name right after.. and asked her, who is Ng XX? She asked the nurse, "How come you know my name?" And gave a brilliant smile.. happy that she is being remembered.:)

Anyway, we just ended up doing little visiting throughout the 15 days of the new year but Ace still got quite a bit of ang pow. So that just sums up our new year..

PS: Because we were spending time with Laoma, I also had to make sure we spend some time with Zeng Popo so she doesnt get upset or jealous:) wahahahaha..

  A 春联Ace made during the Mother Tongue Festival in school.


Previous Post: It Never Rains But It Pours

No comments: