Wednesday, February 11, 2015

I Wasted My Time

Like a typical youngster, Ace always will be bz with his phone or his ipad when he is at Yeye or Gonggong's house.

I have told him many times that he should be spending time with his grandparents when we are there as that is the purpose of us visiting them.

On 11th February 2015, Ace had a wake up call. Yeye had a heart attack and was hospitalized.

Today, we actually had quite a good time with yeye and nai nai in the morning. Nainai said she is on leave and wanted to go and pay respects to her father, mother and her grandmother and so me and Max went along as Ace was in school.

Yeye was still well and healthy and after that, we even went to have lunch together and even made plans to meet in the evening to go see and buy flowers if Ace did not have too much homework.

Ace did not have homework at all and was all excited and packed all his stuff and made plans about what to have for dinner and what he is going to do later..

On our way to dinner, Nainai suddenly called and said Yeye is not feeling well and said to ask Max to go over and so we quickly detour and went to their house. Yeye said he is feeling some pain and whole body doesnt seem to have energy.. so we decided that I will bring Ace to dinner and Max will send Yeye and Nainai to A&E.

After dinner on our way home, we kept chanting and when we reached home, I asked Ace to chant a little with me till his bedtime.

Then I went in to lie down with him and we continued to chant in our heart. Ace says he is very frightened and started to cry...

I asked him what he is frightened of and he said he is frightened that Yeye will die. I told him that is dad has updated us already and that Yeye just had a minor heart attack as he had a blocked valve... he is undergoing a minor procedure now and that he is in good hands.. so he will get well soon...

And since we are on this topic, I told Ace that his fear of losing Yeye is a good reminder that he should treasure all our elders when they are around. In fact, he should treasure everyone cos we dunno when pple around us that we ove will leave us. So when people are old, all they really look forward to is that their young care for them... and that is why whenever I go over to popo house, I will spend some time to talk to each elder.. eg, I will ask Zhen popo how is her leg, what she has been doing... I will ask Gongong what he is cooking and what he has been doing recently... I will listen to Popo talk about her school and stuff... And when I go Nainai house, I will always talk to nainai and ask her about her work etc... And I will listen to Yeye's stories instead of using my phone or ipad..

At this point, Ace cried harder.. I asked him why he cry. Yeye is going to be ok.. and he said he is crying because he regrets.. "I am crying because I wasted my time and never spend my time properly with them.."

So I told Ace to just take this as a reminder and spend time wisely with them so that when they leave us, we will not regret not having done enough.

After he stopped crying, he says he still cannot sleep.. he wishes he can see how Yeye is and so I asked Max to take a picture of yeye to show him.

Finally, a picture of a smiling Yeye came and Ace says now he can sleep already.

I hope Ace really learns his lesson and appreciate the time he has with his grandparents and great grandparents. It is a blessing that not everyone gets a chance to experience.

PS: A few days later, Laoma fell down and broke her hip and had to be hospitalized. This is not a good year indeed. 

PPS: After Yeye returned from hospital, Ace was back to playing with his ipad. I complained to a friend that Ace never learnt his lesson but she suggested instead that Ace knew best how Yeye wanted to be accompanied. When Yeye started to eat less and became visibly gaunt, I told him his job is to ask Yeye to eat more and ask if he ate.. everytime he saw him.. he took to the role quite seriously and always his first sentence when he spoke to Yeye over the phone or saw him was this: "Yeye, did you eat more nutritious food so you can recover quickly?" Hahahaha..


Previous Post: SAF Yatch Club

No comments: