Thursday, December 18, 2014

Food Review: Atas French Classic At Singaporean Heartland Prices!

A few days ago, I received an invitation to to do a food tasting cum review on my blog.

According to the invite, I was supposed to be doing a food tasting and review of this Christmas Special at this place called Char Grill Bar. The name sounded familiar as I think I have seen them around the island but haven't had the chance to try their food.

Besides, the invite says the Christmas Special is a Christmas Cordon Bleu set. Just the sound of this very atas name made me very excited!

I did a quick search on google and the sight that greeted me was website after website filled with pictures of crispy fried or baked chicken breast meat wrapped around a filling of savory ham and creamy, warm cheese.

One of the pictures that came up during my google search...

How do you say NO to an invitation like this? You DON'T! ;) And so I decided to thank the heavens for the good fortune of an early Christmas gift and accept the invitation!

Before I went for the food tasting, I received some information about what I will be tasting...

The email went like this:

Dear Angel

Planning a Christmas celebration that isn’t going to burn a hole in your wallet? Try the Christmas Cordon Bleu sets at Char Grill Bar; you might even win big at their lucky draw!

Slice open the succulent chicken breast meat and savour the oozing cheese and blueberry sauce. Choose sides of either a garden salad with pasta, or a garden salad with potato salad.  The set also comes with a steaming bowl of mushroom soup.

Priced at just $9.90, it’s practically a steal!


Don’t forget your Scratch ‘N’ Win card, too. You stand to win food discounts, CHOICE vouchers and the grand prize of $1,000 worth of travel vouchers.


Char Grill Bar has 26 outlets island-wide, and you can visit their website at http://chargrillbar.com.sg/location/ to find one closest to you. Merry Christmas and a blessed year ahead!

Hmm, atas French classic at Singaporean heartland prices? Is that really possible? I was going to find out...

We arrived at the Pasir Branch of Char Grill Bar and was greeted by their QC Manager, Mr Seven Yong. (Yes you read right, I did not mispell that.. he says 7 is his favourite number.. haha)

He promptly served me THE Christmas Corden Bleu set and gave me a short intro about how they decided to make their Corden Bleu chicken EXTRA SPECIAL by adding blueberries to it.

Tadah!

Atas french classic entree in a heartlander kopitiam:)

The cheese lover in me couldn't wait to cut it open and watch the cheese ooze out!:)

Aww.. so sad, no creamy cheese oozing out like I expected.
Alas, when I cut the chicken into two, I was a tad disappointed that this version I am served does not come with creamy cheese (I found out later that some recipes do not have creamy cheese inside:S) In fact, the only thing I could see and taste inside were the sweet, sweet blueberries. Also, as I was not really a fan of chicken breast, I found it a tad too dry for my liking.

Thank god my disappointment was made a little more tolerable with the side serving of honey mustard sauce given to complement that chicken. I really liked the sauce as it was tantalizing sweet and really goes well with the blueberries inside the Corden Bleu chicken.

Seven went on to explain that as part of their exclusive Christmas special, they also used a special honey citrus salad sauce on their salad which was slightly tangy and refreshingly sweet.

While chatting with Seven, he told us that they are actually an established home grown brand well known for value-for-money grilled chicken and believe it or not- FRIED RICE!:)

Being KPO has its perks. Because I asked so many questions about the other things on the menu, Seven offered to serve me a serving of the best seller on their standard menu- FRIED RICE. Yay!

And indeed, their fried rice was savoury and rich with WOK HEI! Seven told us that to master this special fried rice, one needed to fry and test every day. It takes a person a month of eating fried rice every meal before they can fully master it lor!

After having two meals at one go, I was so full I could barely move! Oh dear, there goes my pre holiday season weight loss plan! ;)
---------------------------------------------

If you are looking to celebrate Christmas in style on a budget,you may want to consider takeaways replated in pretty, festive cutlery to enhance the joyous, festive mood:)The Christmas Corden Bleu set retails for S$9.90 and is available at all Char Grill Bar branches all over Singapore. The full set comes with a creamy mushroom soup plus 2 different options of having either tomato spaghetti and garden salad (Set A)  or potato salad and garden salad (Set B) as your sides.

As a special Christmas offer, each purchase of the Corden Bleu set comes with an instant scratch and win card. Who knows, you just might get lucky this Christmas and WIN THE TOP PRIZE - a $1000 travel voucher!

For more information about branch locations and menu of Char Grill Bar, please visit the following sites.
Website: http://chargrillbar.com.sg
Facebook
: http://www.facebook.com/chargrillbar


Previous Post:Legoland Malaysia (Part 2)

No comments: