Thursday, July 10, 2014

Searching For A School For Ace

Before we left for SGP, I signed Ace up for primary one and applied for Leave of Absence because I was told that means the school will keep me updated with test papers etc...

We initially signed him pp for Yuneng Primary but did not get balloted in and so he ended at East Coast Primary.

But after a year in Dubai, it seemed as if we were going to be there for a long time and because paying the money for leave of absence seemed to have no real meaning (I never got any test papers or anything like that..), I did not follow up the second year.

I was thinking if we do eventually come back, perhaps Ace will have a good chance trying for Yuneng which was our first choice:)

So when we came back to Singapore, the first task at hand was to find a school for Ace. I emailed the school before I came home but there was no reply. One friend suggested I contact MOE. But MOE said since Ace was with ECPS, they can only help us ask if ECPS wants Ace back. IF we want other schools, we will have to approach them ourselves.

One of my very resourceful and wise friend, J, suggested that I call them before I emailed them. She even suggested to me what I should write.. Cos she told me they just needed to know that your child is a good student and will not give them problems.

And so when I called Yuneng and they said they MIGHT have vacancies.. I told them I will just email them Ace's transcripts.

And this is what I emailed them...

-----------------

Dear xx,

It was lovely to speak with you over the phone. Thank you very much for your help.

Actually we have just returned and YNPS is our first choice as I have heard much about the school and seen how your students have showed exemplary behavior and how they are total embodiment of your of your school mission and vision to develop confident communicators, self directed leaders and healthy, active citizens. It impressed and inspired me to think that is what I will like my son to become! I have been to your school before and really liked what i see and feel as well and am looking forward to become a part of this school.

A little bit more about my son, Ace. He has completed the British Curriculum equivalent of Primary 1-3 in Dubai in Horizon School and has so far been a good student with good learning attitude and also a strong interest and aptitude for science and art.
He has been doing well in school so far with little help from me and has even scored a High Distinction for both Math and Science and a Distinction in English in the International Benchmark Tests he took after completed Grade 3 in Dubai. He has also scored well in his Year 4 end of year report.

 

As the values of his school in Dubai are complimentary to those of that in YNPS, Ace has learnt to be confident in his communication and how to work in a team. He is also very much into contributing to society and has received a Community Award in Horizon School for his contribution to their fund raising directives to help the less fortunate. Ace is no stranger to volunteer work since both his dad and I are members of the Lions Club of Singapore and were involved with much volunteer work before we left Singapore. 
 

Ace is creative and likes to think out of the box. A well behaved boy, the happy Ace enjoys school, respects and loves his teachers and principal and is well liked by his peers as he is kind, helpful and has a good sense of humor.
I understand that there are some differences between Dubai and Singapore in terms of curriculum. As such, I am a stay at home mum and am committed to staying at home and assisting and supporting Ace emotionally and academically during this transitional period so that he will be well adjusted as soon as possible.

 

As Ace studies in a British International School, he has only done Chinese at home with me. And just to push him along, I have actually been working on his Chinese using the Higher Chinese Textbook. He is able to read and write simple chinese words albiet a little slowly and is good in hanyu pinyin due to a good foundation in kindergarten 2 in Singapore. As he rarely uses the language in school, he still has problems with the rules of Chinese grammer. After some discussion with my husband, we will be looking to let him drop Chinese so that this will fair for him as he advances to secondary school. But as we feel our mother tongue and being close to our Chinese roots is still very important, we will like him to continue Chinese lessons with his peers. 

And since he is an intelligent boy with a thirst for learning, I am sure he will improve when he is given more exposure to the language. With regards to this, I have contacted MOE and they said that the schools will be able to assist me or advise with this.
 

Once and again, thank you for all your help and thank you for taking the time to read my long email :) I have attached Ace's results for the past three years and also his additional certs.

I look forward to your favorable reply.


Yours sincerely,
Angel

------------------

Hahahaha.. I felt like I was writing essay exam question answer like tat lor:) hahahaha..

And we were so happy when they called us again to tell us that the VP will see us and that they will be willing to give Ace a English and Math test and a short interview. "No promises though.." they told me but when they are willing to see us and spend time to give Ace a test, I know we have a good chance lah.

Then leh, I told Ace we have to prepare... first have to prepare for the interview. So I went through some questions that I thought they might ask him like what subject does he like, why does he want to go to YNPS, etc.

While going through the questions, I teased him and while doing mock interview, I asked him, "Why should I let you come to my school? Are you a good boy?"

It was super funny when Ace replied, "Erm.. I am not very good but I am not a bad boy.." I asked him why he answered this way and he said he cannot lie.. he sometimes gets punished and is therefore not very good but he thinks he is not too bad as he is not ALWAYS punished:) wahahaha...

And then I told Ace we have to prepare by doing some tests too. SO I downloaded some test papers for him to do. Alas, Ace ONLY wanted to do one set of papers even though I encouraged him to do more since he had time. Mr Yaya Papaya said, "It is ok, I think I have prepared enough..." And then proceeded to lie down on the sofa with his legs crossed high up in the air and read his story book. No matter how I encouraged him to try more.. he just refused to change his mind. I was really exasperated. Wah lau eh, why so relax.. not as if the paper he did he score very well also lor! But Ace was happy liao cos he already passed....

The other day, he saw a toy he liked and I told him that if he passed his interview and test and got accepted, i will buy him the toy...

So even when I mentioned the toy, he was still determined to read his story book. It was only later when he wanted to use my ipad and I told him he can only use if he do one more paper that he was FINALLY willing to do that:) wahahaha.. Alas, I went out that night and my ipad ran out of battery and so he went to bed with the work half done ;)

And then... in Ace's fAMOUS WORDS, 大天来了...  The big day arrived. We went to the school and I was rather nervous. I met with the VP and to my surprise, the interview was for ME! Not Ace! And because of that, Ace was really bored and because I did not preframe him, he was not exactly at his best behaviour!

He was fidgeting while we were talking and kept interrupting. Eg, the vice principal asked me a question and when I answered, he said, "No you did not do that!" PENGZ! I really wondered if they were having second thoughts about seeing Ace:) hahaha..

Anyway, the VP suggested that we let Ace do Chinese for half a year and see if he can handle and try not to let him drop the language.

After tat, it was time for his test and when I asked him after that, he said the tests were fairly easy. (I got a marked copy of it and found out that he did not really score all that well too. He scored 60+ for the math and 70+ for English)

And a few days later (which felt like MANY MANY DAYS LATER), we received the good news that Ace was accepted. And so I kept my promise:)




Previous Post: To The Airport With His Cousin

No comments: