Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Ace's First Day At YNPS

Yesterday was a pretty stressed day for me.

As we have been studying in Dubai for the longest time, I really did not know what to expect in the school in Singapore. I did not know where to buy the shoes, I did not know what books I should pack for him.. I did not know how much pocket money I should give him..

On top of that, we were informed only on Monday that Ace was accepted into school. That only gave us like ONE DAY on Tuesday to settle EVERYTHING and buy EVERYTHING before Ace starts school on Wednesday.

I was lucky. Shushu was on MC that day and offered to send us there and bring us home after we go to the bookshop to buy books because one year's worth of books is very heavy.

After that, we went home and rested for a while. I thought since we are starting school liao, I told Ace will give him a treat and we went to Mac Donald to have lunch.

After that, we went to check out the school shoes and choose some good and cheap school shoes for him. He also heng again, we came across a sale, two for the price of one sort for this brand called Bodymaster in World Of Sports.

Then go home have to wrap his books, pack his bag, prepare his uniform, etc etc etc...




At night leh, got to bug him to go to bed by 8pm. He finally went into the bedroom at 8.30 and I patted him for a while and he finally fell asleep by 8.45pm and I went out of the room.. who knows at 10 plus, he came out of the room again because he said he fell asleep but almost rolled off bed and so he woke..

I kan cheong! Kauz, if now cannot fall back asleep I am dead duck cos sch bus coming early morning tomm and he has to wake at 5 plus!

So I pat pat him again like when he was a baby! Heng ah.. after short while he was fast asleep... phew...

After I sent him off this morning, I posted a few pics I took of him before he went on the bus this morning.





Some of my friends ask me how is he and I think.. well, he will be ok lah. Not like the first time he goes to school.. and not even the first time he goes to a primary school in Singapore too.. thanks to the 3 days worth of immersion program with Camp@Home that he did when he was back during the holidays during our stint in Dubai.

Today when he appeared at my door in the afternoon with a big smile and non stop stories about what happened in school, it seemed as if all the hassle was all worth it:)



I was naturally excited to know EVERYTHING about his first day in school and asked him many questions...

Did he make any friends? (Yes, 5 friends, two of them he knew from the school bus. They welcomed me and said, "Welcome to YNPS the moment I stepped on the bus.")

Are all your friends boys? (Yes, but i sat beside a girl in chinese class. She was very good in rolling the eraser into a long line!)

How is his form teacher, Ms M? (She was very good. She is firm and kind like Ms R and I am as tall as my teacher!)

What did you eat for recess? What else did you buy? (I ate the Nasi Padang. It tasted like kuay! Even the egg tasted like kuay! I also bought a kickapo and also a orange ball to decorate my bag from the bookshop. Tomorrow I will just eat bread and will not buy any drinks to save money.)

What do the people in school do during recess?  (There is this multi dunno what.. it is a tennis court, a playground and many other things all rolled into one. We played catching there. I also learnt a new game called the PEN FIGHT. They can all use pens in school. )


What homework do you have?  (I have alot of homework. Have to make a lu bao. Chinese homework. Teacher said we have to go online to research for a good picture for it. And I have to study science because the other students did this chapter in the last semester already. There is going to be a test soon.)

Then he talked about what he did during recess, how he had to wear PE attire tomorrow... how his newfriends advised him to join the Science Club as CCA since "you are so scientific"...  how he had to do a self intro and how everyone thought he was from China and he had to explain that he is Singaporean but he studied in Dubai... and how he had to answer never ending questions about Dubai ;) wahahaha

He talked about how they planted a plant today. It is some sort of program for the 50 years of greening of Singapore and everyone got to plant one plant.

He also talked about how he was asked to read a passage during chinese lesson and how his chinese teacher did not know which class to place him in and put him in the higher chinese class with her and how she asked him if he understood all that was being discussed or said and he said he understood.. phew!

How he was a little lost and someone tricked him into going to the wrong classroom and how at the end of the day, he did not know where to find his school bus and he wanted to call me and cry but couldnt find my number and decided to halt the crying and ask the General Office for help instead...

He ended with, "I can't to go to school tomorrow cos I saw people playing tennis for PE!"

PHEW.. finally can heave a sigh of relief! I hope he continues to enjoy school here!

Previous Post: You And Popo All The Same!

No comments: