Monday, December 02, 2013

Expo 2020

When we attended the teacher parent meeting, Ace's teacher told us what a great exposure and great chance it was for the children that Dubai will be holding Expo 2020.. "They will be the perfect age to enjoy everything!" She said.. and i was just thinking how I likely wouldnt be here already:) hahaha..

Then one of the parents said that he is working in the Expo 2020 bid committee and the teacher said she will try to arrange for him to come and speak to the children about it.

The day he came to give a talk about the bid, he shared what dubai has planned (I think it was like a rehearsal for the actual presentation.. ) and Ace came home very excited and kept telling me what he heard and saw... and how there are going to be singing trees... and some special canopy to keep it cool... blah blah blah..

I told him we might not be here then and he asked if we could still travel back here to visit the expo because he wants to see all the cool things he heard about.

I found out later also that they were given some project work where they had to go research and give a presentation about why dubai should host the Expo 2020... so I think the children themselves almost feel as if they are part of the whole bidding process already and are naturally excited...

And every other day, Ace will ask me how many days left of the announcement of the bid... As the days got nearer, we all got more excited.. cos even Max and me joined in the count.

Then D day arrived and me and Ace were waiting for the bid results in front of the TV. During the commercial break, I asked him to quickly go and bath...

So our good fren went into the bathroom and started to bath while singing a little ditty he made up himself... "We gonna win the Expo!! We gonna win the Expo!! "

I laughed and started to post about this on my FB.. and at that moment, I heard this coming out from the bathroom... "Nam myo ho ren ge kyo, nam myo ho ren ge kyo.. gohonzon, please let dubai win the expo... " I think he is starting to see himself as part of Dubai...

He went on to chant for about 5 minutes and when he came out of the bathroom.. the results were announced... DUBAI WON! :)

Me and Ace were both very happy :)

Max came back a little while later and said Burj Khalifa had fireworks set off...  becos of that i think there was a jam and he couldnt reach home earlier..

Anyway... we are expecting the cost of living to go up soon.. on the positive side, they are finally adding the frills  like direction signs and all that all over the city... I hope they have a postal area code soon too...

Previous Post: Recruit Diaries

No comments: