Monday, August 05, 2013

What Is Your Ambition?


I was thinking that we havent been doing much heart to heart talk for a long time... and so I sat down to have a chat with Ace since I was home early that night...

Somehow, the topic got to the word "Ambition". Ace asked me what that word meant and I told him it means something like "what you will like to be..."

And since we were on the topic, I asked him what he would like to be when he grew up.

"Erm... I don't know..." said Ace.

I was quite surprised that he said that because when he was younger, he wanted to be so many things. He wanted to be a doctor, he wanted to be a policeman.. a spy... a scientitst.. a car inventor... a businessman... a weapons inventor... a famous star.... and even PRESIDENT and/or PRIME MINISTER OF SINGAPORE!:) 

"I thought you said you wanted to be a policeman?" I asked him.

"Nah, I don't want already lah. I don't want to die if a robber shoots me..." He said. And then I explained to him that only those out on the field will get to chase robbers... If not, many high ranking policemen actually stay in office one...

Then I reminded him of his scientist dream... and he said, "But I am quite afraid of bones... so I cannot be a scientist that studies the human body... I also cannot do the chemical research type because I scared that when I mix the chemicals, it will 爆炸...."

And then he went on to say that he doesnt want to be a businessman, or any inventor or anything like that.... and went on to give me reasons why those jobs are no good based on what he is afraid of...

I got really annoyed with him actually because he kept talking about what he fear and why he cannot do something... which sort of defeats the purpose of me naming him ACE in hope that he can be the best he can be...

"Basically, I just want a job that don't need to work very hard and can earn alot of money... Best is don't need to work and can earn alot of money..." Ace concluded after thinking very hard.

I told him that there is no job where you DON'T DO ANYTHING and can earn alot of money. Even people who find it easy to make money will DO SOMETHING and TAKE ACTION before they can get the money.

I told him then that since he did not like to work, there is an "occupation" that is very suitable for him. "You can be a BUM! A BUM is a person who doesnt do anything but nua at home...Hahahha!"

And Ace got very annoyed and upset after that and din want to talk to me again.. wahahahha :)

I decided then that it was not a good time to discuss dreams or ambitions... and that maybe, I have to accept that my son might be too young to know what he wants to do and has not found his calling yet. Oh well, better go to bed!

PS: When we visited our friend, I asked Ace to interview her sister who is a reasearch fellow.. so sort of like a scientist right? I told Ace that she is a scientist and he can ask her about how to become a scientist. When he went to talk to her, he repeated what he told me about being afraid to become a scientist and had her in stitches! Unlike me, she was really amused.. haha..

No comments: