Wednesday, July 17, 2013

It's My Number One Best Strategy

Ace was inivited to the birthday party of one of his friends in kindergarten..

Thinking that it is a good time for him to meet up with his friends, I brought him to the party, left him there, went to meet my frens and went back to pick him up...

Just about 30 min before we were due to leave the party, my son suddenly said that he needed to buy a new toy gun. I told him it is too late to buy a toy gun and he started to CRY! Because he said other people will not want to play with him if he does not have a toy water gun as the party was held by the poolside.. I told him that they can share with him and it was not possible to go buy his gun this last minute!

So he cried and cried and cried... and I was so fed up with him lor. Wah lau, 8 years old already and still cry over such a stupid thing...

Finally, I told him if he chooses to cry and if he is afraid of people laughing at him or that no one want to play with him.. then he can choose not to go to the party... So he boh pian.. cos going to the party is more impt.. and stopped crying lor...

I explained to him that I wanted him to go to the party because he can meet his friends.. but if my taking effort to buy present, send him to the party and pick him up is only met with more crying and tantrums, then what is the point of me making all the effort. Might as well let him stay at home and he wun have reason to throw tantrums.. 

After i picked him up, I asked him how was the party... he said that someone's older brother fought with him and so I asked him what happened...

According to Ace, when he arrived, his friends shared their water guns with him.. this boy came and snatched his gun and used the gun to shoot him... and even pushed him onto the floor..

I was curious what Ace did and if he stood up for himself... so I asked him, "What did you do then..."

"I cry!" he said very loudly.

I laughed at Ace because I told him..." Is that a good strategy? Does it solve anything?"

"Yes!" he exclaimed... "That is my number one BEST strategy!" He added... "Because his parents are there too!"

Wahahahahaha... wah lau eh, chao geng lor! Just where did he learn that from...

"SO what happened after you cry?" I asked..

"My friends all came to help me and console me and then brought me to his parents and so I can tell them what happened..."

"So what happened to him?" I asked. "He kenna scolding lor..."

Apparently, Ace's strategy worked.. so I cannot say he is wrong.. I gave it some thought and told him that I am glad to learnt to stand up for himself... but there might be other ways to stand up for himself which might work as well... because no one likes a tattertaller. For example, he can ask him to stop.. or talk to him to sort things out.  Or he can just dun play with this boy and walk away...

I also asked him what he would have done if the boy's parents were not there...  "Then I will walk away..."

I guess I am relieved that my son DOES know how to protect himself...  he is indeed growing up!

Previous Post: Ace BD Celebration with Ganma K, Gandie ZG and P

No comments: