Thursday, April 25, 2013

Old School Games

Sometimes I think hor, kids who benefit by enjoying the joys of ipads, iphones and what nots miss out on the joys of all the old school games we used to play...

Because we do not encourage Ace to use the iphone or ipad much, we have to come up with good ways to amuse him and what better way to do it than go back to our Old School Games that we played when we were in school?

So far, we have taught him how to play:

RUBBER
Remember that game that you play with erasers with alphabest or flags of diff countries? You flick the eraser and whoever can flick their eraser on top of the other person's eraser will win...


八仙过海
This is somewhat a game of actions. There are specific actions of each of the four words and you take turns to shout out the word of your choice and do the action. If it is your turn to shout and the person playing with you happens to choose the same action as you do.. they lose...

我家的我家的我家的CHECK
Another action game that ends in scissors paper stones...

Strings
Do you remember how we will tie two ends of a string up into a big loop and loop them around and the trick is to continue looping it around your fingers in various combinations to make different shapes...

5 Stones
Ace is not so good at this.. I tried to make bigger 5 stones for him.. end up it was a wrong move, i thought easier to catch but end up difficult because he has small hands..

Triangle
That is when you draw many dots on the notebook and you are to join them up to create as many triangles as possible

Pick Up Sticks
This game is not common now but it was alot of fun when we were playing with it:)

Cross Out Sticks
This one is where you draw sticks like this
    I
  I  I
 I  I  I
I I  I I
and you take turn to cross out any number of sticks..  whoever crosses the last stick loses...

Hangman
This one is introduced to Ace by Fayth Jie Jie who has gotten quite good at entertaining kids.. you underline the letters of a word you have in mind. The other person guesses the letters and tries to figure out the word. Every wrong word gets a part of the man drawn.. every right guess will show you where that letter fits. If the whole man is drawn and you havent guessed the word, you lose...

Pencil Chess/Soccer
THere are a few variations for this and Max taught Ace the simple one. Each person has four circles drawn on their side of the paper and you shoot the pencil away towards your opponent.. if you cross them, they are dead.. your game is to eliminate all four soldiers your opponent has:)

Max and Ace having fun playing Pencil Chess...



In return, Ace has also taught me some of the new age games he plays in school.. I don't know though if these games are similar to those that children play in Singapore but they are apparently common in International Schools...

Bunny Got Shot By The UFO
Tic Tac Toe
Give me a high
Give me a low
Give me a three in a row
Bunny got shot by the UFO (when you say tat you got to do scissors paper stone, loser gets his or her cheeks pinched.)

Chopsticks
You are supposed to hold out your hand and say CHOPSTICKS. This game is related to math and you supposed to count how many fingers, add them up and cross out the other person's finger or something... the last one left with a finger still in the game wins....

Previous Post: Ace's Guitar Performance 2

No comments: