Thursday, November 15, 2012

Sharjah International Book Fair

Sharjah is one of the "states"in UAE and it is right next to Dubai. Driving to Sharjah is like driving to Johor.. or maybe I should correct myself since there is no need to like go through a "second link" or a "causeway"... it probably is more like driving from say bedok into Woodlands:)

As the accommodation there is way cheaper.. many people who work in Dubai stay in Sharjah and make their way daily to Dubai for work. But I have always thought of it as a rather ulu place and have heard too many scary stories about how it is unsafe and how people tend to try con money from drivers driving inside Sharjah... But a friend of ours told us about a book fair there and since it is held at the EXPO, we figured it is a huge one.. so we decided to go lor:)

When we arrived, we discovered it was actually an international book fair and as we walked around the booths, we even discovered a Singaporean company sellling their educational DVD and VCDs there! But leh, I couldnt really find anything that covers what I cannot teach and it is also quite ex lor (2400 dirhams for the full set... 800 dirhans for a set of 60 short stories) .. even though the lady claims it is much cheaper here in dirhams...  I think the program is a little outdated lah.. I prefer the ones I found on my ipad...:) hehehe..  We even saw lots of Singaporean assessment books there:)








Saw a HK taking picture with kids and conntemplated taking pic with her.. but me and max agree this HK is too ugly.. so forget it.. (Looks sala.. now tat i look at this pic, i think the sala part is the ratio of the ears and head and also the nose.. nose should be yellow.. not black!)

But after walking around, we only saw one booth that had books that caught our fancy:)  Coincidentally, right after I explained about different modalities to Ace, he found this book which is NLP for children:) I found another coaching book that teaches goal setting...

And so we bought both...

What to do.. self improvement junkies like me and Max will have self improvement junkie son:) wahahahahahah:) We have been reading through during bedtime and not bad.. talk about modalities, values and beliefs.. everything we have learnt:)


Acen was also very excited to discover a comic book with a character that has the name ACE in it:)

So.. now that I have officially gone right into sharjah (the other time I went was in the night and we were right at the edge of dubai as we went to a friend's house for dinner), my conclusion is that... it is a little bit like driving into JB from Singapore in terms of the sights that you see lah..

If you ever do go over, take note that parking is a little jia lat there.. lots of people who dun signal and anyhow park so that their one small car will take two lots... Max says he cannot live there also because the road system is very chaotic and he cannot take it and will certainly go crazy on the roads there. wahahaha;)

Previous Post: Diwali In Dubai

No comments: