Monday, November 19, 2012

Detention


Our good friend received the first detention ever for his life.

Well, not that my son is a PERFECT student who has never been punished. All along, he has been punished for little things like not paying attention because he was talking to his classmates during lesson and one time he was punished for fighting with someone smaller than himself.. and usually, I just ask him what he has learnt from it and leave it at that.

But it was the very very first time he received a detention from his teachers.

I asked him why he was given detention and the story goes that our good friend was doing work and talking to his friends. His teacher told him that she finds it a little noisy but doesnt mind him talking to his friends as long as he finishes his work. (Is this possible in Singapore????:D)  And then our good friend took it to mean that HE CAN MAKE ALOT OF NOISE BECAUSE HIS TEACHER DOESN'T MIND.

So in a moment of excitement while discussing about Oppa Gangnam Style with his friends, our good friend stood up and started dancing in the middle of the class!

His teacher asked him if he has finished his homework and he HASN'T and so, he will have to do detention to finish up the work that he has yet to complete during the next playtime which HURTS SO BAD because playtime is like the only thing this guy lives for and so, that is the story of Ace's first detention ever.

I am sort of glad this happened cos it gave me a chance to make a point to Ace.

For the longest time, I have been telling Ace the importance of doing the right thing at the right time. Time for eating, we eat, time to do homework, we do homework. But he doesnt ever really get it. He likes to use time for eating to play, time to do homework to play and talk so on and so forth. And in the end, after repeated warnings, I will have to scold him. And then he either is upset that I scold him or will say I very naggy.

So while we were talking about his detention, I asked him what did he learn from this. "That I should do the right thing at the right time.." (I told him homework time in the classroom is not the RIGHT time to dance. Play time is the time for him to do that.) I asked him where else has he learnt this lesson before? And he said I told him before..

Then I explained to him that everything I ask him to do, always got reason one. And always for his good. "See, now you know it is important to listen to mummy right? What happens when you don't listen to mummy?"

"I kenna punished..."

"Yeah lah.. so you want to listen to my advice and suggestions from now on? " I asked him.

"Yes..."

But, like they say, "好花不常开,好景不常在.." Ace was sort of on the ball for a while..

A week later.... sigh...

Time to do homework, our good friend don't do... he will walk here and walk there... or turn to talk to me, play with his feet, sharpen his pencil (really, does a person need to sharpen his pencil ONCE EVERY 3 words?????????) Set him target and running out of time liao still eat dinner slowly and even go and wash the dishes after that! Then say he want to iron his uniform, want to pack his own bag.. I told him if he wants to do that he has to finish everything fast then he will have time to do all these... but no, he wants to but prefers to dilly dally..

Sigh.. dunno why he so tootster like his Ah Yee...

The other day, I gave someone half an hr to learn 25 听写words. He spent most of it playing n talking n dunno do wat. End up get 17 words wrong! So I told him I don't want to talk to him cos I very angry at him for wasting time and not trying hard. Fed him dinner in silence n the someone said thank u to me for making dinner and even wash the dishes.... N still tell me no one in his class ever learnt how to do the dishes or cook like he did... Sigh...
Can someone tell me when my son will understand time management and what it means to do the "right thing at the right time"??????

Previous Post: Religion of the Scissors

No comments: