Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Story Of The Putumayam and Other Singaporean Foods We Miss

The other day, we went to the supermart to stock up and we chanced upon this lovely putumayam... and since Ace likes to eat it.. we bought it lor:)

Alas, it did not come with our fav orange sugar and coconut flakes.. and it tasted HORRIBLE without those things.. even when I put brown sugar as replacement...

So in the ned, I used it to make economical fried bee hoon!:) hehehehe.. yummilicious!:) now I know where to go get BEE HOON.. wahahaahhhahhaa... Anyway, I miss vegeterian bee hoon also... but here got no mock goose:(

That being said, we finally used up ALL the noodles that we bought in Singapore...  it was a sort of sad day for us to see our last stash of yellow noodles and chor bee hoon go.. but at least we celebrated in style with vegeterian fried prawn noodles:)

For the past few weeks, I have been making miso soup or kimchi soup for lunch.... VERY BORING... so tat day, I decided to make miso porridge.. tastes YUMMY:) I remembered that when I was pregnant with Ace, I had craving to eat white porridge with kanacai everyday... or if not will be peanut porridge:) i ate tat EVERYDAY for two mths! Wahahahahaha.. until I got sick of it... If I do get preggy again, I wonder wat will I eat non stop of.. anyway, just having nice porridge was heart warming lah.....

I put what I learnt to good use.. this is the halwa poori tat i made for the big boy and small boy.. BUT Ace still prefers to eat the one tat we bought:) wahahahahaha... 

Then of course among some of the other foods we miss.. are special foods with special significance.. like this Nestle Crunch... Gong Gong bought a few packets for Ace to bring home to Dubai and this was the last of his few packets... so leh, he said that the whole family has to share so tat we can remember gong gong and singapore... wahahaha:)

Then there is the sara lee cake tat i can only find in sgp.. all the pound cakes in dubai tastes funny.. I finally found a brand also called Sara... but made in Kuwait.. tastes... OK lah.. by far the best one I have tested (till I bought the Americano brand last week).. Somehow, most of the pound cakes here have very strange sort of taste like they added too much of the essense or wat like tat... Glad at least got CLOSE replacement...

Then another one we missed is pop corn lor.. cos Shirley jie jie bought some Garrettes for Ah Yee me and Ace to share.. so Ace loved it so much he asked his dad to buy when we walked past it in dubai mall.... but very ex lor.. small packet already almost $10 bucks...

So when we went supermart shopping, we decided to buy our own kernals and make our own.. tat is the corn I popped with my happy call pan ;)

This is the syrup made from honey, butter and golden syrup...

The end result is not really like Garrettes but more like the movie type of pop corn lah.. And I think I will reduce the sugar  cos a little too sweet for my liking...


But Max loved it... kept eating non stop...

For 30 min!:)

Ace only ate a little bit and didn't care much for it after tat...

Me thinks he is trying to make his dad buy more garettes:) hahahahahha

Yesterday, Max offered to pick Ace up from school and since I had to make a snack for Ace and I wanted to show my appreciation towards Max for doing that on my behalf, I decided to make something new.. chee cheong fun:)


 They are not as bouncy as I would like as I dun have wheat starch or potato starch at home (I will go search for it during the weekends)

 I made do lah.. receipe called for metal plate, I dun have. I just use my IKEA baked rice glass container... u supposed to put in basic of cold water to cool it.. I dun have a basic tat big and so i just turned the container over and apply ice back behind it:) wahahahahaha... I so proud at myself for being so innovative:) And then I added vegeterian bah hu and seaweed to enhance the flavour...

 Sauce I also made myself.. just sesame oil, water, light soy sauce and sugar.. I think next time I will try add some sweet sauce also since Ace likes it:)

Previous Post: Exotic Snacks

No comments: