Tuesday, June 19, 2012

SGI GUlf Women's Division General Meeting

This post has nothing to do with Ace... hahaha.. more of something to do with me.. and more so updated so that my MOMO can see that I am taking part in SGI meetings and be happy:) hahahaha
Even though I was sort of apprehensive about going for a meeting after such a long rest from any SOKA meetings, I am glad I attended this meeting...

The meeting is held in one of the Japanese Member's house and she lives in this place called Dubai Green... But she said 10 years ago when she arrived, there was nothing GREEN about this place lor... no plants at all!

Anyway, when I arrived, the Japanese members were all busy making sushi... I tried to peep at how they were doing it to learn a little from them but alas, I realized that they were at the final part where they cut the sushi.. bummer:)

I felt sort of strange as well cos here in the Gulf, the soka members are actually divided into two groups.. the indian group (since they are the majority of soka members here) and the international group... If you came from any other country, you fell into the international group.. within the international group, there were the Japanese... a Korean... and a few ang moh.. I felt like the odd one out since I was the only Singaporean there...

And also, because it was my first meeting, I did not know anyone there and felt out of place... I noticed though that many brought their children and I made a mental note to bring Ace too if he wants.. but i think he will prefer to follow his daddy and spend some father and son time alone...

Then the meeting started proper... this is Sara... our MC for the day... we were all asked to write our names on a post it and paste on our shirts...

As everyone started to share and talked about themselves, I realized that most people have been in dubai for many years! Gosh.. many of them have been in dubai 8-10 years... I cannot imagine being here for so many years....

This is Nastuko.. who is really inspiring... she works with the UN and is currently working in Afghanistan cos she is with the UN. Amazing woman overcame lots of obstacles to make it to our meeting that day...

Then we were all singing the song Mother... the beautiful part of it was that they got the others to hum the song while the people of various nationalities recited the translations of it... President of SGI, Daisaku Ikeda wrote this song for his mother... Here is a beautiful english translation...

Hahayo Mother:
Oh, Mother.
How miraculous and abundant
Is your strength.
If the world
Lacked your presence
We would lose our way
And wander the earth forever.

Oh, Mother, my dear mother,
You have endured winter storms
And have held up your sorrow through frequent prayer.
I pray that until your desires
Take flight to dance among the clouds
You will remain strong and healthy,
Dear Mother.

Dear Mother,
With mind and heart
You express your desire for spring
On the face of the earth.
Please play for us a melody of peace
And rejoice as mother of the Human Century.

And here is the MTV in case you are interested to listen to the song..



Then we were divided into groups to discuss some questions......

My group was a rather lively group and I was so happy to just smile and keep quiet.. wahahaha:) I havent been to meetings for so long that even though I know the answers.. I dunno how to express them in Soka type of lingo.. hahahaha;)

These are some of our members from other parts of the world like Panama, Italy.. etc...

Two of the members shared their testimonial.. the first lady shared about how she prayed and chanted and overcame some health issues and also relationship issues as well.. she was really down and out and din even have a place to say and now she owns her own accomodation and has a wonderful life...

The other was struggling as a stay at home mum BUT with a job.. and I totally can related to her story as she described how for a while she had to work from home with her hubby and had to take care of her child and her hubby at the same time and how she was mostly facing four walls.... she mentioned she started wondering what she is doing in this part of the world and to make matters worst, her hubby lost his job and they also got into a huge fight... she chanted and chanted and now, they have resolved the issue bugging them... and hubby has a new, better job offer in another part of the world! I dunno if I can chant 3 hours a day like her for Max to get a better job offer in Singapore or not though!:) wahahahahah

Group photo before the end of the meeting:) I made one new friend..  a japanese lady who said she had been staying in Singapore before coming over to Dubai:)

Anyway, I quite enjoyed myself lah.. too bad my next appt was waiting for me already and so I had to leave:) hahahaha..

Previous Post: Lies Your Parents Tell You

No comments: