Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Very Hungry Caterpillar By Ace Chua

"The Very Hungry Caterpillar.. by Ace Chua.. I mean Eric Carlye:)" I've had to listen to that something like 10000 times because I had to help Ace memorize the story for a school assignment.

During the Easter break, we were told that Ace and his classmates will be doing a read out to the Year 4 students and so, during the two week easter break, they had to memorize and read out The Very Hungry Caterpillar so that it will be easier for them to continue that in school... I was not sure whether he would be doing it by himself or in a group... so I was quite kan cheong cos even though it is a very simple story.. i have never had Ace Chua memorize anything before....

Since we were away on a holiday, we only used the last few days we had back in Dubai to practice. Thankfully, he already had a headstart in school as they had already started practicing and so he already remembers most of the story..

Everyday, we got him to memorize a few pages and after a while, it got boring for Ace and he started to throw tantrums when I asked him to repeat it again for us or tried to give him suggestions.. so we told him that he has to practice so that he can perform for us.... To make it more exciting, we told him he has to put on a hat and stand up tall for his performance...

So one night before bedtime, he performed for us and we clapped and cheered loudly for him to give him confidence. I told Ace that maybe he could also perform tomorrow when we go Aunty Wai Leng's house warming party and he agreed... I thought it would be great to expose him to a bigger audience..

Initially, when we reached WL's house, Ace was busy bugging Gan to complete his "modules" that he had been forced to sign up with Ace. After the disastrous art lesson (where Ace declared Gan has only reached "white" level because he was not listening and Fayth reaching SILVER level for completing..), Ace's new lesson plan for today was a spy lesson.. hahaha

So that he doesnt bug other people too much, we reminded him of his performance... and this was his first attempt... he burst out laughting...



His second attempt, he sort of forgot the words after two sentences cos he was too nervous.. he told us "I have never performed in front of so many people.." I told him irregardless of how many people he was performing, it was always the same.

So he tried again...



And finally, he managed to finish the whole story

So proud of Ace:)



Anyway, somewhere along the way, Ace decided to change the game from just telling his story to something like Dubai's Got Talent.. he said he is going to perform 10 items and his best fren Lee, Charlotte and Gan will be the judges... and he was quite insistent on performing the next item only when he got all ticks.. hahahaha

Dinner is ready and so we told him to perform later after dinner.. today was good.. there was fried egg, salmon fish, tom yam soup and mei cai fried with mushroom...

Tom yam soup...

And lap cheong dark sauce chicken rice... I made the vegetarian version for Ace today and he loved it:)

Yummy!
Chef WL thinking if there is anything else tat she missed out..

After dinner, Ace continued to perform.. and he really did 9 performances tat he promised lor.. he sang, he danced, he shook his bom bom...

He did indian dance...

And he even became dance teacher and got Lee and Gan to dance along with him!



Hilarious!



Anyway, after a few days of school.. I asked him if they have already performed for the year 4s and he said they were still practicing.. and it was then that I found out that they were doing it as a class.. phew:) Anyway, Ace said tat some of his classmates did not practice during the holiday at all.. wah lau, make me stress for nothing:)

But well, perhaps one day my son will be a good storyteller like his mummy:) hahahaha.. dun pray pray.. when I was his age, I was I think third in story telling in my primary school and I told the story in front of my school during school assembly.. I still remember it was the story of The Sly Fox and the Red Hen... hahaha

Anyway, I think the experience has made Ace more confident about public speaking and I noticed that when he is doing his reading, he seems to understand what it means to read with feeling;)  All in all, good for Ace:)

Previous Post: Free Ice Cream and The Thick Face Boy!

No comments: