Monday, April 02, 2012

Dress As Your Favourite Character Day

As always, Ace's school always has some interesting activity coming up.

It might be a hat parade today...

Or a visit to the park....

Or maybe bake sale..

Anyway, as it was international book day.. the school had a few activities like design your own bookcover or design your own bookmark as part of the activities to celebrate world book day.

One of the more interesting event was a Dress As Your Favourite Character Day.. so on that day, you get to go to your school not in your uniform but in any thing you like.. you just needed to dress up just like your favourite book character!

I read about that in the SOS book like two weeks before but did not jot down the dates as Ace and the class mum will usually send a reminder.

This time though, I did not get any reminders from the class mum nor did Ace remind me (cos he forgot to do so) and only when i saw our neighbour dressed up in the morning while waiting for the school bus and asked her about it did I realize that both me and Ace have both forgotten this special day...

When I told Ace.. his face immediately fell. He sulked and said, "I forgot to remind you!" But there was no time for me to prep talk or help him come up with any ideas cos immediately after, the bus came! So I just told him, "Your uniform is your character dress today.." and sent him up the bus.

When he came home, I asked him if anyone else forgot to dress up and he said Aaron, another boy in his class, also went to school in the school uniform. PHEW.. at least he was not alone..

I asked him if he thought of pretending to be a character who was in school like maybe Roald Dahl in BOY or maybe Harold Hutchins in Captain Underpants.

"But Harold's school uniform has a tie, mummy.. I don't have a tie.." Ace explained.

"So what did you tell your friends that you were?" I asked him...

"I told them that I decided to be nothing and asked them not to look at me.." said Ace with a twinge of regret laced with some anger... his lips pursed in the unpleasant memory of being the odd one out.

"But they still looked at me and I asked them to go away... "

As an after thought, he confessed that he was very worried on the school bus and the whole journey there did not know wat to do. When he reached his school, instead of getting off the bus and playing with his friends like he usually did.. he sat in a corner and cried...

"Did you cry alot or just cry a little bit.."

"I cried alot.. silently..." he said.

"Well, that isn't really the best thing to do is it?" I asked him and gave him a hug. I explained to him that sometimes when we are sad, it is ok to cry but just crying will not solve problems. Cooling down afterward and thinking about how to overcome the problem and taking action is the way to get out of the problem...

"And next time, dun forget to remind me about it ok?"

"Ok.." And that was that..

Here are more photos taken by one of the mothers who was helping out in school on that day...
The children are queuing up for the character parade.. it is like a competition for the best dressed character...

Note that the adults in the background are the teachers! Gosh! Even the teachers were dressed up too.. no wonder Ace was upset...

The lady with purple tights and white dress is Mrs Marion Sinclaire, the headmistress! She always looks so professional and serious.. i cannot relate to this cutesy fairy! wahahahaha:)


This is Ace's class photo.. they have had Alice in wonderland.. Aliens love underpants and Ace said he did not smile because he did not want to be in the photo since he was not dressed...

Well, hopefully this will teach him to be responsible for the things he wants to do and remind me the next time this happens;)

Previous Post: March 2012

No comments: