Friday, March 16, 2012

I Make A Present!



Our neighbour's daughter is having a birthday party this coming weekend. Because I have always been waiting for Ace's school bus with her (as her elder sister goes to the same school as Ace), we are on quite good terms since her favourite hobby is playing with my iphone and playing catching with me:)

The three year old also seems to like Ace very much:) So it was no surprise tat she invited Ace to her birthday party:)

Anyway, I asked Ace if he wanted to go to the party and he said that he wants to. So I told him that in that case, he will have to buy a present and bring it to the party. And, because it is a present from him, it has to be money coming from his bank that is paying for it...

And he looked a little disturbed and tried to come up with a good reason why we, as parents, should pay for him instead.. but he couldnt come up with any and so he nodded OKAY:)

Later while we were out, I told Max about the party and just to tease him, Max told him the same thing, that we will have to bring a present... "What present are you going to get her?" Max asked and lamented that it was already thursday night at 10pm and we havent even gotten her the present yet because the party was the very next day.

"I will make a present for her! Dun need to buy!" exclaimed Ace. "What are you going to make it from? We dun have any materials at home..." I told Ace.. "We bought 4 pots right? My school only needs 2.. I still have two left.." (His school wanted us to buy and let him bring two flower pots to school to decorate for a charity sale)

I looked at Max and Max looked at me. We smiled.

Hahahaha... I am surprised he is so innovative but when I thought deeper, I realized he is still thinking about how to keep his money!:) And so I communicated that to Max in hokkien... wahahahahaha...

Making a present for someone is a good idea really... but I cant let him just bring a homemade present made from a plastic pot when we dun have materials to make a really good one.. so to persuade him to buy a present, I told him that there is not enough time to make a good present as he has to sleep when he goes home.. so we will wake earlier and go buy a present tomorrow...

Ace didn't say Yes and he didnt say No.

Next morning, he woke up bright and early.. earlier than me and Max and by the time I awoke, he has his present all made and wrapped in a box!

He cut strips of paper and pasted them together so that they form a circle. And then, he linked the circles like chains and made it into a bracelet! He then put the bracelet into this box we have sitting around at home, stuck the sides together and wrote, "To Audrey, Happy Birthday. Love, Ace" on the box. he also made a card tat has a picture-o-rama (inspired by the Captain Underpants books he read)

This little guy just never fails to amaze me! Wahahaha

I told him his present is great and we should get one more present for Audrey too cos just a paper bracelet doesnt seem to be enough... and so we went shopping for one.. We repeated that the money has to come from his bank and he said that his budget is 1 dirham! (That is only something like 30 cents in singapore currency)

I told him we cannot buy ANYTHING decent with one dirham and you cannot budget for only one dirham because when you attend a party, the host has to pay money to prepare your food and stuff. So your present has to cover the cost of the party at least or should cost even more... as an appreciation that you thank them for making the effort to organize the party.

So because it was a mac donalds party, I told him the present has to minimally cost a little more than a happy meal (whcih costs 10 dirhams)...

In the end, we bought a Hello Kitty sticker and chop set for 39 dirhams.. Cos Max was saying that she is our neighbour and she is so cute too:) hahahaha... I think it was lucky that we did pay much more than a mc happy meal cos my son.. yao sek yao dabao lor.. brought home a goody bag with balls, toys and food lor:)

Anyway, it was a test only lah.. we didnt really take any of Ace's money:) Wahahaha.. but he was all ready to pay for it.. I like his attitude:) hehe..

I must say though that since young, Ace has always been super sensitive to the words "Take money out from your bank.." hahahaa..

The other day, Ace came home from school and was playing in his room. Then suddenly, he ran out and said that "Mummy, I spoiled this when I dived into it..."

You see, Ace likes to dive into his bed and he has a bad habit of leaving the hangers around on his bed after he changes into his school uniform and so when he dived right into the plastic hangers, they broke.. of cos!:) Hahaha..

So I just told him, "It's ok, just take money out from your bank and buy me a new one.."

My son gave me a shocked and surprised expression, got contemplative for a few seconds and told me, "I got an idea!"

And then he proceeded to use scotch tape and paper to tape up the broken part... after he is done, he told me, "Mummy, I got it fixed. I know after you use for a while, it will spoil again.. so I will fix it again when it spoils again..."

How very engineering-minded!?:P

Anyway, when Max saw the hanger, he asked me, "What is this about?" So I told him the whole story lor... he luffed and luffed when he heard it:)

Previous Post: Feb's Random Pictures Pt 2

No comments: