Monday, February 20, 2012

Books Are More Interesting Than Toys!

I never thought I would ever hear Ace say this...

That books are more interesting than toys!:)

For the past 6 months, our life in Dubai on non schooling days are usually very toy-based.. it usually involves visiting a certain mall and one of its many big toy stores inside for Ace to "look" and play with some toys. Every week, the same shops, the same toys... After a while, I get really bored but Ace is ALWAYS excited to go.

When Max is overseas, just visiting Burjuman which doesnt even have a proper toy shop save for a Virgin Megastore and a Hallmark gift shop is considered a treat in Ace's eyes.

And it didn't seem to me that he was EVER going to get tired of that!:)

But a few weeks ago, after we went book-shopping with the 100 dirhams tat he won at the dance competition, Ace seems to have fallen in love with the book store and has been bugging us to bring him to bookstores:)

Yeah! Seems like all the effort I put in to bring him to the library since he was 1 month old and exposing him to books at a young age is paying off...




The two boys having a whale of a time in Kinokuniya...

So nowadays, visits to the malls mean going into Borders or Kino as well.. which is more interesting for me....

The other day, Ace announced that he wanted to go to a mall... Assuming that he was thinking about visiting a toy shop, I asked him if it was because there was a toy he wanted to see... and then he tsk tsk tsk me and told me, "Mummy, did you know that books are more interesting than toys? For a little boy my age, toys and more toys are very boring! So you have to read books! Books are not boring.. toys are boring!"

Anyway, Ace has so far finished the whole series of Dairy of The Wimpy Kid and has been besotted by Horrid Henry. He has also been borrowing books from some Dinosaur series and Captain Underpants as well as books about spies and spy work from his school library.

During a book sale, we bought him some Five Findouters books and we have been reading them together.. two chapters at a time every night during bedtime.

He is always excited to know what happens next and always badgers me to read just ONE more chapter... and then he will rub his hands with glee and repeat to himself.."This is so exciting, this is so exciting.."

I think it is about time I intro him to my good old friends, Secret Seven and Hardy Boys!:)

Previous Post: Poetry Symposium

No comments: