Sunday, January 15, 2012

Dubai Shopping Festival Fireworks

A year ago when I visited Dubai and told everyone that I was going to leave on 31st Dec, everyone told me it is a great pity as I should have stayed through January for their sale...

Apparently it is a super cheap sale and everything is on genuine sale and not marked up and made into a sale price like the Great Singapore Sale.. and even the new items and current season items would be on sale...

This time round, I found out that this special event is called the Dubai Shopping Festival and it lasts for a month. And Global Village (tat pasar malam) actually started off some 7 years ago as part of the celebrations of the DSF:)

Anyway, this supposed shopping festival lasts for a full month. Apparently, there will be fireworks on the opening night and subsequently, there will be fireworks along the creek everynight at 8.30pm...

And true enough, since then, I have heard the pik piak pik piak of the fireworks at 8.30pm everynight since I stay next to the creek:) When I told everyone this, they just exclaim, "Dubai very rich hor.."

Anyway, being the opening day, we tot they would probably have nicer fireworks and so we tried to drive to a vantage view point. WHile going up the bridge towards Festival City Mall, we found out that there were many cars parked along side.. I suspected they were all waiting to see fireworks and so we monkey see and monkey do lah...

Heng we arrived 5 min early cos just a mere few minutes later hor, no more place to park liao!:)

Initially we sat in the car cos Max was unsure if the police might come.

Ace, as usual, was happy to stay in the car and play with his dad...

But I saw alot of people climbing over the wall onto the pavement beside the bridge and so I tot I would go out to take better pictures;)

See, this pic much better right?

As more people stepped out and as we started seeing children standing on their father's cars.. Max and Ace decided to come out of the car too:)


The wind was very strong and it was rather chilly.. heng i was wearing my "cat" jacket and got to cover my head!:)

Tadah! and the fireworks started...

After a while, I realized that I was right i the middle of the firework show.. cos on the left side of the bridge is the creek and on the right side is Festival City Mall.. and they were actually having a synchronized fireworks show cos both sides had the same fireworks going into the sky at the same time! It was beautiful!


But because the fireworks span over across the whole sky in our view (my camera could not capture everything lor!!!) Ace felt as if the fireworks was very near and that he would be burnt by the fire... so he was screaming throughout.. wat a chicken! hahahahaha

Anyway, here is the grand finale... swee right?:P

I have here a video of the fireworks... part of it at least lah.. since i couldnt take pics and take video at the same time with my iphone:)



Previous Post: Accidental Tourists In Dubai

No comments: