Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sex Education For Toddlers

Some time back, I received an email from a friend titled "German Kindergarten Textbook"

And along with the email came these attachments...









I don't know what you think but I think it is a great way of introducing sex education when children are young without giving too much detail and so I kept the email thinking that one day, I would use it to explain to Ace about the birds and bees...

The other day though, I had my first brief touch about the topic.

Some of you might know, I still bath with my son occasionally. It is just one of the fun things that we do together... and so the other day, I was having my period and when I asked Ace to take a bath, he said he wanted to bath with me. "I can't bath with you today, Ace..." I told him.

And like all inquisitive little boys, he asked me the big "WHY?"

After thinking through for a while, I explained to him that I cannot bath with him because I was having my period which is also known as my menses.

Anticipating that he would be asking me what is a period, I explained to him that a woman has a organ inside her called the womb. Every month, the womb will make food for the baby. If the woman make a baby with a man, then baby will use up the food and there will be no period.

If there is no baby, the food will not be used and it will come out of the body. When that happens, a woman will have a period.

Karen Ganma said that government suggestion is that children find out about the birds and bees by the time they are 8 or 9 years old. I think there is no harm in telling them about it earlier... just that it is important to be factual and not get too hung up about details because I guess it would be too much info and they wouldn't really grasp the concept of it at all.

Oh well, I think though that as Ace gets older, this is definitely one talk I will have with him. Because I think it is important that they realize that the result of their urges is not just satisfaction but also a whole lot of other possible repercussions they might not be ready to handle yet.

My friend says she has given up teaching her children about saving themselves for marriage because married virgins are just so darn rare now. She says however, she will insist that her children only make love with pple they love.. that is why it is called ' make love'... and she would try to be open so tat she knows the pple that her kids are dating...

I am pretty open too... cos I know that children dun follow everything their parents say anyway... When i was having a discussion with Karen Ganma about sex education for children, I told her that when i have a daughter, I will educate the importance of protecting herself, her love and her body... because it is a decision you have to make and bear yourself.. and mummy or daddy cannot be always be by your side to protect you or keep you safe... Only you can protect you and only you can make your own decision.. never leave the decision to some other guy and his dick.. hahaha....

Ganma Karen reminded me though that I should educate Ace so that he will protect the woman that he loves and understand the effects it could possibly have on her and how it might affect the rest of their lives :)

Ah well, but i guess I am still quite a number of years away from this talk.. for now, the kindergarten book pics should suffice :)

Previous Post: Copy Kiss

1 comment:

ming said...

ha..u save this email..i may need it 2-3 yrs down the road.AHAHAHA