Monday, June 29, 2009

Dreams

Children.. up to 7 years old.. always achieve 100% of their dreams. Whatever they dream, they always achieve because they always talk about it, think about it and work on it. But as they grow up, the percentage gets smaller and by the time they are an adult, only 5% of the people left have dreams... and only these 5% get whatever they dream of.

I think this is rather true as Ace usually gets whatever he keeps talking about real quickly. Always someone will give it to him after he thinks about it for some time.

When I heard that talk about children and their dreams, I started thinking about MY dream. There is a chinese saying that goes, "人因梦想而伟大"... Loosely translated to english, it means that a man becomes great because he has great dreams.

In my early days in biz, I was mentoring under a certain someone who taught me the secret of success-- the success formula. My mentor, Mr G often told us... that "人因梦想而伟大"... and I agree... logically... But I have not really have had any big dreams.

I was inspired when we talked about making the company a world known top company, inpsired about how we could change the whole world, one step at a time, inspired when my leader drove a lexus RX300, inspired when they bought a nice, cozy walk in apartment...(cheong for biz most during tat time i think.. hahaha) maybe a little bit inspired when I saw the types/brands of bags and clothings that another two of my female mentors were using...

But then in the recent one, two years, I guess my dreams were still mostly small dreams... you know.. just wanted to earn 10-30K a month.... live in my same HDB flat, drive my same Nissan Selphy.. buy one LV bag.. I am really happy liaoz.

I always thought I was just well, comfortable and contented... until I visited my current coach's house. And then I realized that I was not comfortable.. or contented. I just did not have a big dream.. because I never knew it is possible to be so bloody rich to enjoy this type of freedom this type of quality of life.... I never knew houses like this existed and mostly, I just did not believe that I would ever have this type of house.

When I visited one of my fren's houses in Bukit Timah, I thought I had seen it all... until I visited my coach's home in Penang... It is really a very first time for me because:
  1. I have never seen such a HUGE house. The drive way, unlike most houses in Singapore is a long distance up. Once up the driveway, you still have to walk up a few flight of stairs before you reach the main house.. which holds two living rooms, a mezzanine, a dining area, two guest rooms each with their own small living room on the outside, a double storey children's room, a double storey master bedroom, a deck, a pool, a space where an open office will be build, a back courtyard....
  2. I have never seen such magnificent views.. right in front is the huge huge sea... and at the back of thouse it is all mountains.. with a feeding programme, you can even see squirrels when you wake and around 10am, you even see eagles flying around.
  3. I have never seen such BIG furniture. All the furniture are really oversized... but they look just right in the house. After being in the house and sitting in those furniture, a visit to Ikea made me feel like all Ikea furniture are midgets!
  4. I have never seen such a lavish house! The stones that make up the walls are all hand pieced together by craftsmen. Each retaining wall costs about 300 thousand to build. That is enough to buy a rather nice Merc and there are 9 retaining walls like tat in the house... and everything you find in the house, the lamps, the furniture, etc.. even the electrical switches... are are different and the best... just the bed is like 12K and costs 12 days to build from scratch because it is so expensive they only produce upon order.
  5. I have never seen such a big dream.. because as perfect as the house is already to me... Arthur still has new plans to add new things and to build new things. And the way he thinks and the things he thinks of adding are just really things to make the house more magnificent! There is no need to consider budget... no scarcity thinking but just really decisions made on what he and his wife likes.
  6. I was also inpsired because someone about my age, a few years ago, saw the house when it was starting to be built. At that time, he was poor and totally broke.. he was driving a run down car and did not even know if he would have enough money for the next day to eat. My coach told him.. "one day, you will own a house like this.." he believed in it.. and now, he is a multimillionaire and has bought the land next to this beautiful house to build his own palace :)
Here are some pics just so you get a feel of it.



















So I have decided.. that if there is one thing I want to teach Ace, it will be to teach him how to Dream.. and DREAM BIG! Because when you have a big dream, everything is possible!


And true enough, when we started to have bigger dreams, we started to realize that houses like tat are possible in sgp too.. and this is what we found when we went house hunting...







Previous Post: I Like You

No comments: