Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Circle Noodles



Last month, I paid a full month's school fees but Ace only went to school for half a month.

That's because one of his classmates was down with HFMD and so he had to stay at home for a week. The next week, it was the designated 5 day holiday in a year for the school and so he stayed at home for another week.

Since we had so much time on hand when he stayed at home, I decided to get him involved in the lunch making process so that he could kill some time and also, so that it would make it easy for him to want to feed himself during lunch cos he made it himself ;)

So, I decided to make one of my personal favourites- Mee Hoon Kuay. I poured in all the ingredients and got Ace to help to make the dough and after which I also got him to help to roll the dough into small circles... and so he called it Circle Mian.

And then a few days later, we decided to experiment with this cookie making set we had. One of the things that came with it was a syringe like thingy with alot of holes at the bottom and so I wondered if we could make noodles with it and so tried and the noodles tat came out looked like worms and so we called it WORM Mian.

And then Ace said he wanted star mian and so I bought a star shaped cookie cutter and did the stars and we had Super Star Mian.

By then, I realized that if the food came with an interesting name, Ace would want to eat it and so subsequently, all other types of noodles would be given interesting names like Snake Noodles...

And then I found a solution to getting Ace to STOP wanting to only eat chicken rice ;) By othering noodles and telling him it was something interesting. Eg, the other day, I asked him other than chicken rice, what does he want to eat, he said he wanted to eat Popo and Gong Gong Pi Gu and so the hor fun that we ordered became known as that :)

After that, he was more open to trying other foods as long as we came up with interesting names for them...

Just FYI, I have also found a receipe to make vegeterian burger patties which even max says better than those he has eaten outside.. hee :)

Previous Post: Ah Yee's Airplane

No comments: