Saturday, January 10, 2009

Two Children?


I had a taste of what it would be like if I had two children. I was at least exposed to the level of noise I had to put up with and also the most common problem you would have when you have two children-- two children fighting over the same useless toy...

The other day, Max and Mel made a date to watch a liverpool match together. Sam, whom they wanted to invite along for the gathering was not free and in the end, they decided to just adjourn to Melvin's house instead of watching it at Chijmes as planned.

So while we were there, the two dads watched their football while the two mums chit chatted as all women do. And the kids? Well, they just played lor.

Very soon... they warmed up to each other and they were running around the WHOLE HOUSE and shouting and screaming happily at the top of their voices. Thank goodness I am a visual person and our auditory men were engrossed in their game... if not, I think we might have gone crazy with all the noise.. hahaha ;)

Now that Tiff is older, she also starts to be very sure about what she wants and is very assertive... my three and a half year old is even more so... and so, then it happened.

They started fighting over the Barney soft toy and even over a useless purple stick that has absolutely no use. They just both wanted it because the other person wanted it.

It got me thinking about how to teach Ace about sharing with a sibling if this happened to Ace and his future sibling. I know we adults like to say, "You have to give in because you are big brother..." But I was an elder sister... I never felt it was fair that I had to give in just because I was older so I did not want to do this to Ace.

So I told Ace that we should always share. In this case, the toy belongs to Tiffany, so if he wanted to play with it, he has to ask permission. If she does not agree, he either does not play with it or asks again till he gets the permission to do so. Anyway, when playing with toys, it is always more fun to share and take turns.

Melvin on his side took Tiffany one side and gave her a different set of reasoning about why she should always share because Ace is her friend...

But I guess if Ace were to have his own little sister, things would really be quite different. If only I were around, just how do you pull them apart when they are trying to snatch the toy from each other?

Anyway, talking about siblings.. I think Ace really wants a sibling.. the other day he came to me and told me that I have a baby in my tummy. "It is a mei mei!" He said. And then he started to talk to my tummy and the next day, while talking to Ah Yee and Net Net online, he told them that there is a baby in my tummy as well.

I thought it was his intuition at work and thought maybe my secret new year wish came true.. alas, the very next day, da yi ma came to visit me already lor :P I was soooooooooooooo disappointed.... as I bled... I felt like my heart was bleeding too...


PPS: I did not want to break Ace's heart but eventually at night, I told him that Meimei is not coming so soon already.... He asked me why and I told him that she is not ready to be here yet... but the next day, when I ask him, he still insists that Meimei is inside my tummy.. Ah Yee asked him if she had a baby in her tummy and he said Ah Yee dun have, only Mummy has meimei inside tummy. A week later, he still insists that there is a Meimei in my tummy... I wonder if it is possible to be pregnant and still menstruate.. hehehe :)


Oh well, if it is meant to be, it is meant to be...

Click HERE to see more photos of Tiff and Ace enjoying themselves.



Previous Post: Ace The Pianist

No comments: