Friday, January 23, 2009

Humph!



To those people who always ask me, "Why you talk to Ace like he understands and remembers everything? They so small they can remember/understand meh?"

Here is just proof of how children, however young DO understand and DO remember...

About a year ago, when Ace was two, the company I was working with offered an incentive trip to Hong Kong Disneyland if you hit a certain sales volume consistently for three months. We worked really hard and I told Ace that I will bring him along if I made it...

3 months down the road, I made it and thought I secured a place to HK Disneyland.

However, due to some unforseened circumstances, a change of management took place and the new management vehemently denied the trip with lots of what seems like crap excuses to me... and so, despite sacrificing so much for it, I was left with no HK disneyland trip.....

You can bet I was upset and I am amazed when I hear people ask my friend, "Why is Angel so emotional over this?"

I was really angry when I heard that since he belongs to the management... hahaha.. back then (and I guess even now), I was thinking, "Harlow, have you ever promised your child something and cannot make it? Have you ever seen the disappointed face on your child's face when you tell him we cannot go already? You dun value your promises to your child does not mean I dun value mine lor!!??"

Anyway, a year has since passed and I don't really talk about this anymore.. But I guess, deep in me, I havent let go of this disappointment and also this association to the thinking that "working hard equals nought" since after you work hard, you wouldn't get the reward anyway...

As children are our sub conscious mind and as Ace really does understand all that I have told him, a year later, when he is much more capable of expressing himself, (He could only say words when he was two.. it is only when he turned three that he started speaking in sentences) he came to my study while I was typing one day and crossed his arms...

"Humph..." he folded his arms crossly and made an angry face.

I was wondering what was wrong with him... No one did anything to upset him and nothing happened before this.. for no reason, he just came to me and "humph" me.

"What's wrong, Ace?" I asked him.

"I so angry.." he said.

"Huh? What are you angry with?"

"Why you never bring me to disneyland? Why?"

I was so shocked I didn't know how to reply. After I regained my composure, I promised him. "We are not going now Ace, but I promise you one day.. later, we will definitely go... ok?"

"Ok!"

And then he ran out to play happily..

Freaky...

Previous Post: Sharing Kid

No comments: