Thursday, October 09, 2008

Is He Your Friend?


I was in 422 doing something the other day and because it was kind of troublesome to get back to my mum's place without transport, I asked my Dad if he could pick me up on the way home when he went to fetch Ace...

I sat into the car and started asking Ace about his day. "Are you happy today?" "How is your day today?" "What did you do today?"

And Ace told me that his friend, Michael Phua, "bombed" his house and so Teacher Toh asked him not to bomb his house.

I asked Ace, "Why did Michael bomb your house?"

"Because he is a naughty boy.." Ace replied.

So I asked Ace if he could forgive Michael and Ace shook his head.

"But you are a caring and sharing boy who loves your friends, right? Surely you can forgive Michael...." And Ace still shook his head.

"But Michael is your friend right? Do you want to forgive your friend?"

And finally, Ace said, "Yes..."

At that moment too, I realized that the reason Ace probably shook his head was because I kind of refused to forgive a certain 'Michael Phua' in my life too...

It takes alot to ruffle my feathers and a certain "Michael Phua" in my life bombed my "house"(heart) too... :)

It was kind of tough to forgive him.. and irregardless of how many forgiveness exercises I have done and how I was also aware that the poor chap did not have any friends at all.. that was why he could not and did not know how to treat people as friends decently... I just couldn't get over my victimized "I was so good to you and you treated me this way *sob sob* " thinking...

I met up with someone who had a similar experience in life and she was telling me how tough it was for her and describing her experiences... at that instant, I was glad we were friends.. for how ever short number of years because I realized that my friendship possibly saved his life many times over.

When I was reminding Ace that Michael Phua is his friend, I also suddenly realized that I have forgotten a very very important principal I have learnt since I was very young...

Since young, I have always had this thing where periodically I have people whom I adore or look up to come to me and tell me that they do not want to be my friends. Worst still, they go and chio chio other people not to be my friends... so I always tell other people that "When you treat others as your friend, it does not mean they will treat you as your friend... always remember that..."

But I have also come to realize that the reverse holds true as well. Even if other people do not treat you like their friend, it does not mean you cannot treat them as your friend and forgive them and give to them.. up to them whether they want to receive it.. as my teacher says TRUE GIVING HAS GOT NO REJECTION:)

Even if our friend is in a tantrum, it does not mean we cannot stand there and just love them!

So Ace, since mummy learnt this precious lesson, here is hoping tat you will learn it too and flourish in your life to greater success!

Previous Post: Pai Kia Ace

No comments: