Saturday, March 01, 2008

A Unique Motherhood Experience

I had a unique motherhood experience the other day.

It was really unique, special, pleasant experience and it was hilarious and funny at the same time.

For one night only, I had the chance to play mother to my own mother.

Netnet had some tickets to some event where they gave away freeflow of Carslberg beer and so, knowing that my parents are fond beer drinkers, he gave them some tickets and they went.

After a very bad session where my dad got really drink during New Year's Eve dinner, I had wanted to follow them because I was so afraid that they would get drunk and dunno how to get home. Alas, Ah Yee had to meet friends and since there was no one to take care of Ace, we decided in the end to stay at home and take care of Ace.

At around 11, we received a call from someone telling me, "Come and fetch your mum, she is drunk.." and I could hear my mum saying, "I am very drunk.. very drunk.." in the background.

"Ok," I told the nice lady and wondered why my mum or dad did not make the call themselves.

When I reached there though with Ace and Max (there was no one to take care of Ace so we had to bring him along), I realized why. Little wonder cos they finished like 40 over cans of beer among 6 pax.

It was really funny I tell you. My mum was slumped in a corner, seated there, resting.. looking like a drunk delinquent. She could not walk and could not control her emotions or her speech or her behaviour.

On the way back, she either puked, or talked really loudly.. repeating that they had alot to drink and she did not want my dad to drink too much so she tried to outdrink him... asking us why she is in such a bad state... asking if she scared Ace.. telling Ace that he loves him... telling us how clever she is to get bags from giodarno to puke in... how they met netnet's father and he was drunk as well and insisting that her clothes are clean and that she DID NOT puke onto her clothes.

"Next time dun want to bring her already lah.." my dad complained. Cos she was so drunk, he did not dare to get drunk as well and thus controlled his drinking. "I never drink till I shiok yet leh..." he said.

And then she went on to thank everyone.. "Thank you Joo joo, thank you ah feng, thank you max.. thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!! HAHAHAHA!" And she laughed REALLY LOUDLY!

I told Daddy he should buy 4D cos I have NEVER seen my mum like tat in my whole life.

We finally managed to bring her home.

And when your mother is drunk, that is when you feel like HER mother. Because drunkards have no sense of logic or memory, they will repeat the same thing again and again and ask you the same questions again and again. And they will shout at the top of their voice and insist on doing certain things.

"Ok, you got to speak softly, it is 12 midnight and is very late already. So you have to speak softly... shh...."

"OK, shhh...cannot talk loudly.." she will repeat.. only to forget it like 1 min later and start talking loudly.

"No, you cannot do this now because if you do so, you will...."

"I can! Who says I cannot!" she would challenge me and I had to repeat that she cannot and try to devise a different logic and explaination that appeals to her drunkard brain.

"It's ok, don't worry, I love you..." I kept telling her whenever she says thank you or apologized for being in a bad state.

"Let me help you..." I repeated whenever she wants to try stunts like walk or hug someone or drink water.

Those are the few phrases I repeated again and again and again... and at that very moment, I felt like a mother because that is what I usually say to Ace! Hahhaa....

When I helped her change, she was wriggling away like Ace when he refused to change his clothes but being the experienced mum that I am now, I still managed to get it done in a jiffy.

Ace was initially scared when he saw Popo in this stage. I told him, "Popo had too much drink and so she cannot control her emotions or behaviour now. It is ok. Just love her."

But when my mum asked to hugged him initially, he refused. "It's ok Ace, just hug popo, she is not scary, she needs your love..." and so I brought him to hug her.

Once he hugged her though, my son changed into a different person and started to become a caring godson-turned-mother.

"Popo, shui jiao.." he told my mum and touched her hand to sayang her.

I held on to my mother's hand and talked to her. Answering all her questions about where is her bag, is her hubby ok, whehter I want to know why she drank so much and consoling her when she starts to apologize, thank the whole world, says she loves the whole world.

And at this moment, Ace touched my hand and held on to it the same way and talked as well and at that moment, it really felt good to be linked both to my mother and son.

And then we tried to get Ace to go to bed but he refused to sleep. Even when he drank milk, he wanted to lie beside popo to watch over her.

One thing about my mum is tat even though she is so drunk, she still insisted in doing her evening prayers. So Ace sat down and watched her do her prayers... He kept looking at her face with this earnest expression like he MUST make sure she is ok at all times and it was only when she is asleep that he is willing or feels peaceful or at ease enough to sleep.

"Worth it to dote on this child.." I told Max and I am so moved that Ace is so filial and caring.

All in all, it was certainly and amusing experience. Max says I should have smsed my sis and asked her to come home cos I am quite sure we will NEVER get a chance to see my mum like tat again.. hahahaha.....

Previous Post: Ace Can Eat Gua Zi

1 comment:

Choonbee said...

That's quite an experience...