Friday, February 15, 2008

Cross

When I was really young, whenever I got bitten by mosquitoes, other than applying ointment for me, my mum would cross the little bump for me and miraculously, I wouldn't find it so itchy anymore after that. Probably the pain will dull the itch somewhat...

The other day, Ace ran to me and showed me this bump on his arm that looked suspiciously like a mosquito bite.

"Mama... circle." he said as he pointed to the very round bump.

"Don't worry.." this very gung ho mama said. "Just let me cross it for you and it would not be itchy anymore.." I told him and promptly used my fingernails to mark a cross on him.

I thought he would happily run off and play but alas, he just stood there and stared at the cross.

About 3 minutes later, he called out to me, "Mama, bu jian le... no more..." and requested that I cross one more time for him... and so I did...

And again, he stood there and waited for the cross to disappear....

In the end, I had to cross that bump like three times... and so I told Ace, "Ace, it is ok. Cross once is enough lah. As long as it is no longer itchy, you do not need to see it for it to work..."

And so he happily proceeded to play and I thought that was the end of the matter.

Apparently not though.

A few days later, he started to "cross" anyone he can find.

He would 'cross' my face, 'cross' Daddy's nose, 'cross' my feet, 'cross' Ah Yee's hands...

Whenever he saw a bump.. he would cross it and tell me, "Mama.. cross!" and look very pleased with himself.

The other night, he was so engrossed with 'crossing' things that he started to use his nails and create a line of crosses up the whole of his left thigh...

"Zou huo ru mo already.." I told Daddy..

"All your fault lah, teach him this.." Daddy retorted...

So from now on, I will be really careful about what I teach Ace.. hahaha...

Previous Post: Mummy Barber

No comments: