Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Full Time Motherhood

Since Max left, I have really become a full time mother.

In the past, I really had a very good life. I would sleep till 10 or 11 am in the morning and then wake. By then, Ace would already have bathed, taken his breakfast and done a whole lot of other things. I would then drink my fruit juice and then I would go happily type my emails, surf my net while my mum would entertain Ace Chua.

And then by 12noon, I would come out to the living room, play with Ace a little bit, and then by 12.30, put him in a chair and get Lao ma to feed him.

During lunch, I get to go to my room again and do my own stuff and by the time I am done, Ace has just finished his lunch.

Then I would play with him for about an hour and put him to bed and I am left with more time during his snooze.

By the time he wakes, it would be about 5pm. Usually by then, he is happy to entertain himself or if not, Daddy will be back home to play with him and by 6pm, I am out of the house. By the time I come back, he is either asleep or Max will rock him to sleep.

Since Max left, life has been really quite tough.

Waipo's school concert is coming so for the whole of this month, she will be working full day shifts which means that she needs to leave for work at 9am everyday and since Waigong is the one sending her to work, whether I like it or not, I have to wake up at 9am every day.

While that may not seem early to you, try matching it with a 4am sleeping schedule (that is wat time I usually sleep now that Max is in the middle east) and you can imagine how tortorous it must be.

Now, instead of a relaxed day of doing my own stuff and being a mother when I got the time, I need to be a mother ALL the time.

Every morning, at 8plus, Ah Yee will walk in and out of my room and as Ace is quite a light sleeper, he will wake by then and ask for milk. Usually, he will go to Waigong for milk.. BUT not before he wakes me for a short while first and I am disturbed from my beauty sleep.

After that, I will try to fall back into lalaland because I am so tired. Sometimes Ace will do his own stuff, sometimes he will come and bug me and just as I am about to fall asleep, Waipo will say, "Wake up ah, we going off and Ace is awake."

And then I will switch on the TV an sit there and watch sesame street with him. If I am really tired, I lie on the sofa, wasted and he will come and jump up and down on my body. And because I am afraid he will fall off, I cannot close my eyes for longer than 3 seconds and have to be constantly alert to protect my body (he jumps really hard on your tummy and breasts and that's really painful) and to pull him in case he loses balance and falls.

By about 10am, Waigong will reach home and then I will get off the sofa, go wash up, drink my juice and after that, it is non stop mummy duty.

From 10-12.30pm when he has lunch, I need to keep playing with him or watch TV with him. I cannot go out of the room or he will cry... and sometimes he has his own idea of wat to play. "Mama, zhou..." He holds my hand and pulls me along.. "Throw ball..."

Or on another day, it may be, "Mama... shui jiao.." But he just wants me to play pillow fight with him.

Or maybe, it is going to the computer and watching that Thomas the Train or that Hi-5 clip for 5000 times until I can sing the WHOLE DAM SONG.

By 11am, usually I am really really tired. Especially the previous night was a 4am night and I would lie on the sofa and close my eyes and I just switch on the tv and let him do whatever he likes because I am so tired I just cannot move.

And even Indinine and VPlus dun help... I am so tired I sometimes wonder if I am pregnant again (which is not possible since yi ma just visited me).

I would fall into zombie land and by 1.30-2pm, I will start to be awake again. Then I will have to rock him to sleep.

During this nap time, I quickly try to catch another nap and then by 5pm, I am out at office. Travelling in tiring but to cut cost a little, I usually take cab there but take MRT home.

By the time I reach home at 10 plus 11, I still have to listen to my mum complain about what Ace did when i was not around...

And by 12, my mum still start to nag me to bring Ace to sleep and I would be so torn cos his dad usually logs on at this time. Should I let them talk to each other or should I put Ace to sleep. Doesnt help that there was alot of hiccups for the set up of skype and the network is not stable.

Come 12plus, Waipo will nag and ask me why I never let Ace sleep and repeat that children who sleep late will become stupid. And then, I will go to bed with Ace. And I have to lie there and wait for Ace to fall asleep and after that, go back to login and see if I can talk to max somemore...

The next day, the cycle repeats...

Shagged ah!

PS: Many thanks to many who read my blog and sent me encouraging SMS/msg like GH, HJ, Annie, WL and Ganma SL... Many thanks, I will jia you! :P

Previous Post: Beat Baby

3 comments:

Clatzz said...

usually by the time i wake up, ace has already woken up... so dun blame me for waking him up hor... and i never walk in and out of your room... at most i walk in twice nia...

once to use the toilet and once to use the mirror... thats all ok... :p

i think i should stay at net's place till max comes home so that u can use the com till 4am without disturbance... haha :p

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very interesting cycle to me! MUST make your time at home worth the money and effort! We must have a 2nd baby soon to justify your sleeping so much! I will gladly exchange and do all these! :) But thanks dear for all that you have been doing while i am away.

Anonymous said...

What an excuse to stay over and tian mi mi with Net. hahaha...