Saturday, July 29, 2006

Remove That Negative Association!


Remember I talked about how Ace would cry whenever we said one syllabus words loudly?

I have managed to undo tat a little already..

You see... based on wat I have learnt about human behavioral science from my mentor, Ace is upset probably because:
- he has a negative association with loud, single syllabul sound
- he is shocked and scared by it

It is just like if you keep hitting on a person's shoulder and say, "You are a lousy freak.." do tat enough times and everytime someone taps him on the shoulder, he will feel lousy.... likewise, if you do tat enough times and say instead "You are the greatest, you are the best, you will succeed!".. everytime someone did tat, he will feel confident and feel great!;)

So in order to remove tat negative association to loud, single syllabul words, I brought Ace to my room and played with him for a while. And then I tickled him and made him laugh... and then as he was laughing happily, I said loudly to him, "MOON!" He would purse his mouth into an M shape and then I would tickle him and made him laugh.

I repeated this process 3 times and by the 4th time, he would only purse his lips together but he didn't cry.

That night, I brought him to Indinine. Because we met a long time friend we havent seen in a long while, we cheered for him and said, "Yaaaay!!!!!!" and clapped... Ace cried very loudly.

I decided to repeat it and so the next day, I brought him to the bedroom to play with him again... This time.. i did the "say the word then tickle" thing again and again using different words like "moon, star, sun, yay..."

And now, most of the time when you do that, he will smile instead of cry.. hahahaha...

Isn't it great how you can change your child's behaviour to positive ones so easily!?:P

PS: If you want to learn more about human behavioural science, you might want to attend the course that I did...My friend whose son was last in class applied what she learnt from the same course and the following semester, he was FIRST in class leh. Email me if you want to know more.. verityy@yahoo.com

No comments: