Monday, April 17, 2006

I want to teach Ace to save the world


I have always been slightly eco-concious... not VERY MUCH SO... but I:

- refused to take flyers because i believe in save the earth
- use bio-degradable stuff if I can
- carrry my own shopping bags and refuse plastic bags whenever I can
- am vegeterian cos dun wanna kill so many pigs, chickens and cows

And one of the issues that struck me most is that of global warming. I still remember many years ago.. I was sitting at home with my mum and sis and watching TV.. and then there was this piece of news on TV tat says that because of the OZONE layer, thre is global warming and the ice bergs in the north and south poles are melting.. and so water levels are going up and at this rate, the earth will totally be submerged in water in 200 years time....

"My god!" I tot to myself when I heard it.. cos that means everyone is certain to DIE together! My mum says, "Nevermind lah.. everyone will die together and a new 'earth' will be born somewhere... things are always in a cycle..." cos she is buddhist...

"Anyway, you wouldnt be around 200 years later.." she added...

But my next generation will.. my grandchildren.. my great grandchildren..they may see the end of the world!

And thus began the start of my eco-conciousness...

I was quite sure that I will teach my son everything that I heard in the news that many years ago... but recently, I read something that may change my mind...

I went to the library and read the book, State of Fear by Michael Crichton.. it's a ficticious story aout gurella ecowarfare.... (You can read more about the book review and storyline here)

Simply put, it speaks of how global warming is just an issue tat pple raise to make more money or to attain some political or selfish agenda... made me really wonder if all i believed were true... so i wrote to Dr Miller (the person who wrote the article in the above link) so that I can find out...

I want to find out the truth.. make a decision on where I stand and then educate Ace on there. But irregardless of whether global warming is an issue.. one thing is for sure.. ace will do his part for the environment by going vegeterian like ME and Daddy! :)

1 comment:

<*ANGEL*> said...

well, you should go and read State of Fear...