Friday, September 23, 2005

Why can't Ace be vegeterian?!

My mum has many friends. But she only has a few whom we deem 'best friends'.

One of them is Aunty Qingling who migrated to Vancouver about 15 years ago. She is mummy's confidante.. kind of like me and my best friend Karen. Only they only knew each other when they were in their thirties.

The other one is this lady called Aunty Jenny. A true friend, who came and help out during my grandfather's funeral because my mum was the only child. She and hubby left their children at home sleeping, came over and sat overnight with us and bought us breakfast... I am forever grateful to them for that...

Well, Aunty Qingling is back in Singapore for a short visit and she wanted to meet Ace. So today, at last minute notice, they all arranged to meet at mum's place to visit Ace.

When Aunty Qingling saw Ace, she started praising him and saying that he is very cute.

The one I do dread seeing a little is Aunty Jenny. She is very straight forward, very loud and to a certain extend, very naggy to me. I will just say that she is a very loving but SCARY mummy... hahahah... she has very strict rules about things and likes things to be very very clean...

When Aunty Jenny arrived, she started with saying she wants to hit people. I thought she meant Ace but in the end, she walked to me and hit me on my thigh 5 times! Wah.. if she not my mummy's friend and if not for my forever gratefulness, I think I would have kicked her...

I know she meant it in a joking manner. Just that she hit me so hard there were red marks lor. And please lor. Me is 28, not 8 years old. If not for my mum, I sure kick back ah!

But anyway, Aunty Jenny is a professional Nanny. She was invaluable in offering advice about how to take care of Ace and how to get rid of his nappy rash on Ace's anus.

But the nightmare began when Aunty Qingling asked me, "Aiyoh, Joo, you took vegeterian food only even during confinement?"

Then she and Aunty Jenny started to take turns to say why vegeterian food is not good:
- because it is not good for the baby
- your baby will react slower cos not enough nutrients
- your baby may look plump and healthy but actually lack nutrients
- your baby will learn things slower
- you dun take fish, you won't have enough milk

To which I said:
- I eat diff kinds of vege so i get the same vitamins and nutrients
- I also take supplements that are 100% natural to supplement me
- There are lots of babies who take fish and meat who are also STUPID
- My friends' children who are vegeterian are all healthy and cute and they are growing fine. They also learn things very fast.
- The last i heard, taking soup and beans also will increase milk supply

After that, I decided that they win lah... since they are aunty, i let them win. So I do the smile non commitedly act. As long as I know I am right and I am free to do what I want, they can say what they like.

But I really don't understand my mother's friends. So what if I eat differently from them. They ALL (QL and Jenny are not the only ones) say I shouldnt do this and do that and that I shouldnt take vegeterian.

But hello, my baby is CUTE, INTELLIGENT, HUGE (for his age) and HEALTHY lor. So what is wrong with being vegeterian?!

Anothony Robbins, world famous motivational speaker is vegeterian!
Lucy Stephens, a tri-athlete is vegeterian!
Xie Shaoguang, king of Mediacorp is vegeterian...
Albert Einstein, the world's greatest inventor and scientist is also vegeterian!
And the list goes on!!!

Anywayz, after they leave, I tell Ace to forget all that they have said and explained to him again why it is healthy to take more vegetables and to stay vegeterian like Daddy and Mummy.

Whose dietary habits is better? Who will be healthier? Who will look younger? Hehehe.. time will tell ;)

Go Vegeterian!
http://www.vegetarian-society.org/
http://www.vegsoc.org/
http://www.vegblog.org/

1 comment:

Clatzz said...

mua ha ha ha...
i oso scared aunty jenny nag...
thats y ystd i hide in the room...