Monday, September 19, 2005

Polka Dot Ace

When we touched down on 0005 at 19th Sept, we were in for a horrific shock.

Ace had turned into a polka dotted baby!

It seems that while we were away, Ace had to drink 6-8 times of Isomil and only got to drink 2 times of breast milk which I had stored for him. The sudden change in diet was too much for his body because Isomil is much thicker and breastmilk is quite thin (I can vouch for that after drinking my own milk for the past few days) and as a result, whenever he drank milk, especially Isomil, the skin on his body will break out into red patches.

The red patches were all over his body. His arms, his legs, his back, his tummy, his neck and even his face. There was one time a red patch appeared on his eyes and he ended up with swollen eyes!

The patches were red and they were puffy. They emitted heat and in some places, they would be raised little bumps like islands in maps. And they were all over Ace! They got worse especially when he moved around a lot or was feeling very warm.

It is so bad I really cant bear to take pictures even though I usually love to take strange pictures of him (and get scolded by my friends for being a strange mummy).

My mum was so worried she had actually wanted us to take an earlier flight back.

Luckily, the doctor said it was nothing much. He was probably allergic to the fact that Isomil is too solid for him. Just take him off Isomil and he will be ok. If he is not crying, he shouldn’t be feeling too uncomfortable. Such a happy is Ace that he even smiled at the Doctor when he said that! (Sis and mum told me this cos they were the ones who brought him to the doc)

Max was so guilt stricken and so sad. He kept asking me if Ace would have been like that if we did not go to Hong Kong and he would say things like, “Pass your red spots to daddy ok, I bear them for you..”

On my part, I try my best not to be alarmed but I felt sad that he had to go through that. Dunno whether he feels itchy or not. Dunno whether is he feeling very uncomfortable. I wanted so bad to hug him and carry him and sooth him but alas, I was afraid that he would register in his mind that being sick is good. So I talked to him while putting him on the bouncer but when I do carry him, I hug him a little tighter.

I guess he does feel ok because he still smiles when we tickle him or say certain things. But not as much and not as bright though.

For the first day, Max was rather upset because he said that Ace perpetually had the ‘m shaped mouth’ look and looked as if he did not recognize Max. He was so happy that when he bathed Ace, Ace started to smile again.

“There! That’s my son! I know you would recognize me…”

“Don’t wriggle.. see, wriggle liao become red and then you wouldn’t be handsome..” I told Ace and he flashed his familiar killer toothless grin at me.

I heave a sigh of relief. If he shits, eats, plays, sleeps and smiles, I think he must be doing okay ;)

I went online to check and found that this condition is called Hives. It is nothing serious and is not contagious. Phew…

My fren Jez asked me if I told Ace I was going overseas. I told her I did and I even told him how long I was going and that I would love him even he doesn’t see me around.

She then said, “Is like that one lah.. Children like to try out new patterns especially when you go overseas and test your reaction when you come back. If it works, they will try it again, dun get too affected…”

Anyway, Ace is getting better now. Hong Kong here we come again next year March/April!!! Anyone wants to join me?:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's really hard to resist soothing Ace when he is so uncomfortable. My heart oso ache. Good that he is ok now.

Can join u to go HK next March. Is Ace going too?

Zhenyuan

<*ANGEL*> said...

Ok, let's buy and eat buy and eat together! :)